PHNOM PENH, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) — Twenty-three Cambodians were killed by landmines and unexploded ordnances (UXOs) during the first seven months of 2016, remarkably up from only 12 deaths over the same period last year, according to a government report on Sunday.
However, the number of people wounded or limb- amputated declined 43 percent to 36 during the January-July period this year from 63 over the same period last year, said the report from the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority.
Some 50 accidents were recorded in the seven months of this year, representing a decrease of 11 percent compared to the same period a year earlier, it said.
"Sixty-six percent of the victims were men, 24 percent were boys, and the rest were women and girls," the report said.
Cambodia is one of the worst landmine-affected countries in the world. An estimated 4 to 6 million landmines and other munitions were left over from nearly three decades of war that ended in 1998.
According to the report, landmine and UXO explosions killed 19, 746 people and either injured or amputated 44,892 others from 1979 to July 2016.
The Southeast Asian country is seeking around 338 million U.S. dollars within 10 years to entirely get rid of landmines and explosive remnants of war.