TRIPOLI, July 13 (Xinhua) -- The state-owned National Oil Corporation (NOC) of the UN-backed Libyan government on Sunday declared force majeure on oil exports again due to renewed oil blockade by the east-based army.
The NOC said in a statement that it "condemns unreservedly the renewed blockade on Libyan oil exports and calls for the states responsible to be held to account by the United Nations Security Council. NOC has been forced to declare force majeure on all oil exports from Libya to limit its contractual liabilities."
The NOC said it was informed that the instructions to shut down production were given to the east-based army by the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
"This is gravely disappointing, especially following repeated statements by very senior representatives of the UAE last week in support of international efforts to restart oil production in Libya," the statement said.
The NOC also said that foreign mercenaries allied with the east-based army are occupying major oilfields and ports, shutting down oil production.
"We appreciate greatly the efforts of the United Nations, and the U.S. to restart Libyan oil production and avert an escalation in the conflict. If these efforts fail, as it appears they will, there must be consequences for the actions of the handful of states that are undermining the rules-based international order and destroying Libya. They pose a grave threat to Libyan and global security," said NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla.
The NOC on Friday announced lifting the state of force majeure on oil exports following a blockade of nearly six months that caused losses of more than 6.5 billion U.S. dollars.
However, the east-based army on Saturday announced shutting down oil production, demanding transparency in the distribution of oil revenues.
Libya has been plagued by political division and conflicts ever since the fall of its leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.