Phnom Penh (FN), Nov. 22 – Cambodian prime minister Hun Sen shared five key points to achieve the objectives of the National Strategic Plan for Mine Action 2018-2025 and Cambodia’s mine-free vision by 2025.
The premier spoke during the closing ceremony of the 30th Anniversary of the National Convention on Mine Action in Cambodia held on Tuesday morning.
The five key recommendations are as follows:
1. Continue to support the development partners of friendly countries, the private sector and donors in terms of technology, budget and materials in the demining mission in Cambodia to achieve the objectives of the National Strategic Plan for Mine Action 2018-2025 and Cambodia’s mine-free vision by 2025.
2. Ministries and institutions that have national development plans related to demining and explosive remnants must cooperate with the Mine Authority to determine appropriate and effective demining methods to ensure that demining and explosive operations comply with quality, safety and standards of clearances.
3. Encourage the Ministry of Health and relevant institutions to continue to pay attention to provide free health services and professional treatment to demining operators.
4. The Mine Authority must revise the legal documents and harmonize the structure of mine action management to address the threat posed by mines and explosive remnants and must continue to implement the "Mine-free Village Mechanism" successfully.
5. Encourage national and international demining operators to increase cooperation with the Mine Authority to further strengthen the management of mine action and the sending of Cambodian forces in the field of mine action abroad, and to study practical specifications on the reduction of land area threatened by landmines and explosive remnants to ensure the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of this important work.